This week we are catching up with Erik Hougen, whose solo show, "Twenty Miles in Eight Hours" opens on 2/18 at Sugarlift's Bushwick gallery space.
LIVES IN / Brooklyn
WORKS IN / Brooklyn
OCCUPATION / Artist and Printmaker
ON THE CLOCK / I'm a big fan of long walks, and try to get at least one in a day.
YOUR ART WEEKEND / If I see any art on the weekends, it consists of a few gallery visits with my wife followed by beer and pizza. We have been visiting Lower East Side galleries more often than Chelsea because it seems easier to find beer and pizza there.
ALBUM / This is what I have on my phone:
- The Kinks - Arthur (or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
- The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
- Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
- A couple of Nat King Cole songs, including "Nature Boy"
- Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun, and A Sun That Never Sets
- Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss, Reign in Blood and Decade of Aggression
- Sun Ra - Lanquidity
- Whiskeytown - Pneumonia
FILM / Blue Ruin, Sunset Boulevard, Upstream Color
ARTIST / Kate Shepherd
BOOK / Recently:
- Roland Barthes - Camera Lucida
- Albert Camus - The Fall
- Malcom Gladwell - The Tipping Point
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
EATS / Scotch and pistachios.
LATEST PURCHASE / 4" foam brushes from the hardware store
GUILTY PLEASURE / Full House
GRADE IN ART CLASS / Art class and cooking class were the only two A's I got in High School.
36 HOURS / Anywhere with a swimming pool. Hot tubs are nice too.
SUGARLIFT PICK / I had a chance to see some photographs from the upcoming "Empire State" show today, can't wait to see the exhibition. Looks like Sugarlift tapped into an interesting culture that I wasn't aware of.
To become a collector of the pieces in Erik's exhibition at Sugarlift, visit his artist page here.